Health Insurance

02oct10:00 am2:00 pmVirtual EventStudy in Ireland - Undergraduate Virtual FairSpeak privately with Universities and Colleges. Find your Undergraduate course in Ireland.


Students from non-EU countries are not covered for any free medical attention off-campus and must therefore have their own private insurance.

Please note that heavy levies are charged for all hospitalisation and it is advised to make provision for adequate medical insurance.

Non-EU students are required to show proof of comprehensive medical insurance when registering with the Garda National Immigration Bureau.

Students are advised to arrange insurance for private medical care as this ensures choice of hospital, doctor and hospital accommodation in the event of illness.

  • If you are coming to Ireland to study on an academic course of one year or less, basic medical expenses insurance is available for approximately €160 from Study and Protect. This insurance policy will satisfy the visa/immigration requirement for private health insurance and can be obtained before students arrive in Ireland.
  • If you are coming to Ireland to study on an academic course of more than one year, you are deemed ‘ordinary resident’ from the moment you arrive in Ireland, and therefore require more comprehensive health insurance.
  • Further details on health insurance plans available to students are available via the Study and Protect website
  • Comprehensive plans are also available from one of the three main private health insurance companies in Ireland: VHI, Irish Life or Laya Healthcare. Please note that in order to apply for a policy from one of these companies you will need to provide an address in Ireland and you may also require a PPS number (Personal Public Service).